Clacktronics is run by Ben Barwise. I provide an electronics and programming service for the creative industry. Working with groups such as artists, creative agencies and musicians helping them achieve their ideas through technology. Providing technological creative input to projects, drawing on my broad knowledge of different technologies that are available.
With just under 10 years experience I am available for freelance hire on various types of projects. I have a broad range of technical skills so it is hard for me to fully convey everything I have done or can investigate. Anything to do with electronics or programming I am interested in so please do not hesitate to contact me. My main specialities are listed below.
- Project consultation / Research and Development - for installation or product design
- Analogue / Digital circuit design, PCB design
- Installation art - Interactive work, sensors, video
- retro-fitting and reverse engineering obsolete or proprietary technology
- Physical prototyping of electronic and mechanical parts
- Robotics - moving parts controlled by computer
- Audio - I come from a background of repairing and designing audio circuits such as synthesizers
Here is a list of things I have experience with just to give an idea. But do still get into contact even if what you are looking for is not mentioned.
- Seral Communication - RS485/422, RS232, DMX512, MIDI, I2C, SPI
- Embedded devices - AVR, ARM, STM32, Raspberry Pi, Arduino
- LED - LED strips, WS2812b, LED matrixes
- Motors - Stepper motors, linear actuators, Solenoids, Servo motors, brushless motors, flip dots, solenoids, electro-permanent magnets
- Video synchronisation and automation for physical video displays
- Haroon Mirza & Wayne McGregor @ Paris Opera “Alea Sands” - A live generated installation with performers, an oscilloscope projection and ceiling lights interacting with Pierre Boulez piece.
- Ryan Gander, Flip dot based works - A number of works utilizing magnetic flip dot displays, images are dynamically generated.
- Foxall Studio @ Bonnington Gallery - “Publishing Rooms” - Large installation of scanners that all feed to a website and printers.
I am based in London, UK but can work remotely if needed. I have a dedicated workshop in north east London (Walthamstow) and am available for face to face meetings to! please contact for details.
All enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org I do not have a publicly available number at the moment but coming soon..